Can't backup Samba share using NT Server across the network

Stephen Moore stephenm at bundabergcity.qld.gov.au
Mon Jun 28 02:28:52 GMT 1999

We have a small site with about 100 clients running of a linux box and
samba (which, benchmarks notwithstanding , seems faster than when it
used to run NT) .

We have been backing part of its disk space up using a NT server. We
moved from 2.03 to 2.04b and the backups started failing. The error in
the error log is as follows

[1999/06/22 17:58:42, 0] smbd/files.c:file_new(85)
  ERROR! Out of file structures
[1999/06/22 17:58:43, 0] smbd/files.c:file_new(85)
  ERROR! Out of file structures

I looked around and found a patch for nttrans.c that fixed this error,
but the backup still fails.

We can view the share from the machine, we can open the files from the
machine. We just cant use ntbackup from the machine. It gives the
following errors

[stephenm at mcfeast stephenm]$ more SMB.LOG
Backup Status

Backup Status

Tape Name: "Tape created on 25/06/1999"
Backup of "E: \\Hinkler\building"
Backup set #1 on tape #1
Backup description: ""
Backup Method: Normal

Backup started on 25/06/1999 at 9:30:56.
 access.
Please see the owner or administrator to get permission.
 access\bfpd.
Please see the owner or administrator to get permission.
 access\bfpd\backup.
Please see the owner or administrator to get permission.
BFPDRegister5-10-98.zip  <A>                307444  08/03/1999
17:53
Backup completed on 25/06/1999 at 9:31:20.
Backed up 1 files in 0 directories.
Processed 307,620 bytes in  24 seconds.

Needless to say that they do have permission. No files get backed up at
all.
In fact the tape is completely empty!

I am working around this so the problem is not critical for me

Best of luck