security = server & encrypted passwords

Gonz gonzalo at getsystems.com
Sun Jun 27 23:57:54 GMT 1999

On Sat, Jun 26, 1999 at 02:01:30AM +1000, Jeff Newton wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've missed the latest encrypted passwords thread, so forgive me if
> this is old hat for some of you.
>
> I'm running 2.0.3 with auth being handled by an NT PDC.  It seems that
> some Win95 clients (namely those with later releases of the OS) have
> problems authenticating.  I've got encrypt passwords = yes but it
> still seems only the old Win95 clients (clear text passwords) can
> auth without problems.
>
> Can someone shed some light on this for me?

With encrypt passwords = yes, i beleive you have to actually add individual
users to /etc/smbpasswd (using the command smbpasswd -a USERNAME PASSWORD).

Or you could just get the Win95_PlainPassword.REG file and turn encrypted
passwords off..

HTH.

Regards,

Gonzalo.

  System Administrator for GET Systems Pty. Ltd.

  p: 02 9419 2000       f: 02 9419 2444
  m: 0414 294 366       e: gonzalo at getsystems.com