SAMBA digest 2122

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Jun 9 13:30:47 GMT 1999

Mark Velasquez wrote:

> Hi, ALL,
>
> I've just installed samba 2.0.4b on a sparc solaris
> platform, and noticed the "socket address=" option.
> This looks like it'd allow me to set up "virtual"
> Samba Servers, ie.; multiple server instances with
> separate configs listening on different interfaces...

Yes.  Works fine except there are some subtleties that
go along with it.  All you really need to do is to

	* use the interfaces and wsocket address
	  options in conjunction with each other.

	* start smbd/nmbd using the -D (daemon) switch

	* using the -s switch to pass a different config file

I outlined this in my book recently (Sams Teach Yourself
Samba in 24 Hours).  However, be aware that one of the side
effects will be you'll have to tweak browsing stuff to get
it to work and will more than likely have to use WINS
for name resolution.

In other words, do this only if you need to run separate
binaries.  If you want to define separate virtual servers
(i.e. same binary but multiple behavior), use the netbios
aliases parameter and the % macros (e.g. %N, %L, %a, %m, etc...)

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )