Auto-Form Feed

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Wed Jun 9 05:33:45 GMT 1999

On 9 Jun 99, Francesc Guasch <frankie at etsetb.upc.es> had this to
say about Re: Auto-Form Feed:

Brett Worth <brettw at sgi.com> once said:

> There are a couple of ways to deal with this.  First you can
> usually make the Windows printer configuration send it's own
> form feed.  This is the prefered solution.  There's usually a
> check box somewhere to do this.
>
> Alternatively you can make Samba do it:
>
> print command =  "lpr -r -P %p %s ; echo \014"

Other ways to do CR/LF, formfeed, etc, are PCL commands (escape
codes) and lpr (via /etc/printcap).  They should be well documented
in your HP manual and the lpr man page.  Here is a way to add
carriage returns with sed and a formfeed with PCL escape codes
(assumes the shell is bash):

#!/bin/sh
#
#  Add carriage returns to text files using sed,
#  and force a formfeed:
#
sed -e s/$/
echo -ne \\f

You might want to think about installing lprng (it's supposed to be
really slick, cool, etc).

Steve

Steve Arnold                            sarnold at earthling.net
                                 http://www.rain.org/~sarnold
This message composed of 100% recycled electrons.  You should
also recycle yourself.  Become an organ donor 8-)