Quirky Behavior under NT

Tod Thomas tthomas at chubb.com
Wed Jun 9 12:08:26 GMT 1999

I've set up samba on a Sun machine running Solaris v2.6 to allow NT clients to connect using encrypted passwords.  I used a package install of the binaries picked up
from a mirror site.

Once I had Samba configured, I set up a share for myself using Swat to test.  I left everything pretty generic except for the path, hosts allow, and hosts deny. I
set the correct path, and the two host names I wanted to allow.  On the deny I saw in the documentation that the allow hosts superceded those specified in the deny
field so I just enetered an * to deny all but those specified in allow.  Then I mapped to the Sun box and everything worked fine.

On the sun machine though I noticed something peculiar in the log.smb:

[1999/06/08 15:42:29, 1] smbd/password.c:(532)
  smb_password_check failed. Invalid password given for user 'tthomas'
[1999/06/08 15:42:34, 1] lib/util_sock.c:(852)
  Gethostbyaddr failed for my.ip.address
[1999/06/08 15:42:34, 0] lib/access.c:(137)
  client_match: address match failing due to invalid character '*' found in token '*' in an allow/deny hosts line.
[1999/06/08 15:42:34, 0] lib/access.c:(144)
  client_match: address match failing due to invalid character '*' found in token '*' in an allow/deny hosts line.
[1999/06/08 15:42:34, 1] smbd/service.c:(488)
  my machine name (my ip address) connect to service user I mapped with as user user I mapped as (uid=600, gid=14) (pid 11471)

The invalid password lines are expected as I am mapping using a different host name from my NT account name and am being prompted for the correct password for that
host.

So I removed the * in the deny hosts, committed the change, remapped to the Sun box, and it stopped working !  When I replaced the * everything started working
again.  Now I am wondering whether this is a stupid mistake I somehow made setting up the share, or if this is a Samba thing.  Has anybody seen this or can tell me
where I may have strayed ?

BTW, I just took a quick look at the syntax for host allow, deny and noticed that * is not a valid wildcard character, EXCEPT is the correct syntax.

Thanks - Tod Thomas