Unwanted Browselists

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Fri Jun 4 08:01:19 GMT 1999

On 4 Jun 99, Tom Vandepoel <Tom.Vandepoel at netvision.be> had
questions about Unwanted Browselists:

> >Is there a way to prevent browselists from machines other than those
> >of my choosing to show up in the browselists/network neighbourhood?
> >
> >I don't want win95 clients that offer shares themselves to show up
> >in the network neighbourhood.
>
> I've asked the same question in the samba list some while ago,
> but no one answered. Have you gotten anywhere with this? It would
> be a great feature, to be able to clean up those browse lists, to
> only show 'official' servers...

I think nmbd checks both WINS and broadcast sources to build the
browse.dat file.  A brute-force solution would be to edit the
browse.dat file periodically, but windoze clients cache the browse
list for 15-30 minutes (something like that) so there would be a
considerable delay.

The real solution would be to hack the nmbd code and add the
feature yourself.  How about an smb.conf setting to specify a list
of NetBIOS names to include in (or exclude from) the browse list?
Sounds pretty cool to me.  Of course, I love volunteering other
people for coding projects (considering I can't seem to get my own
projects off the ground...:)

Steve