Connection still alive after client disconnects

Rudolf Kollien Rudolf.Kollien at kollien.de
Thu Jul 29 13:17:17 GMT 1999

Hi to all,

i've got same problems with "hanging" sessions. I use samba 2.0.4a on a
S.u.S.E. Linux with kernel 2.2.5.

After a client (win95) shuts down sometimes a session still locks the files
on the samba server. I tried to use the socket option "S0_KEEPALIVE" and the
global option "keepalive=600". During the day i see many log entries like
this:

[1999/07/29 08:16:04, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_data(415)
		write_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe

After the client ist shutdowned it closes the connection to one share but
still holds a session to an other share. The only difference between this
shares is the "oplocks = false" option. The "connection closed" is the last
entry in the logs. Still with the keepalive and the "deadtime" options the
session on this share isn't closed. This error occurs not every day but
three to four days a week.

I still have the option to cancel the specific sessions via a script at
midnight but i would prefer a posibility samba closes the session by itself
after encountering that the client isn't longer avalable.

Does anyone know in which cases the "keepalive" doesn't work as mentioned?
Any hints are welcome. Thanx

Rudolf Kollien

Email: kollien at kollien.de
Our home on the net: http://www.kollien.de
Never trust a operating system you have no sources for