rookie needs help (browsing samba from NT)

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Jul 24 01:39:58 GMT 1999

On 23 Jul 99, "Page, Jon T" <Jon.Page at pnl.gov> had questions about
rookie needs help:

> I am trying to connect an NT 4.0 workstation to an SGI Unix
> system running samba.  The SGI system is not browsable from the
> NT workstation.  When I try to map a drive from the SGI system to
> the NT system I am prompted for a connect as identification and
> password.  I can enter either an ID and password for the Unix
> system or of the NT system but neither seem to allow me to make
> the connection.

You can see it in the browse list, but can't browse or map a drive?
 Have you tried a Net Use command from the prompt?  If samba is
running in user level security and with encrypted passwords, then
you should be able to map a drive at the command prompt, and then
browse.  If samba is running with plaintext passwords, then NT will
need the reg hack to enable plaintext passwords on that side.
There's a reg file in the samba package.

With the plaintext passwords enabled, I still have to login (again)
to the samba mapped drive after I login to the NT workstation box.
After the double login, everything works fine.

Steve