Security preferences with Samba 2.0.5

Kevin Ivory Ivory at SerNet.de
Fri Jul 23 14:01:19 GMT 1999

I'll leave the first question to someone else.

Jens Bruckmann wrote:
>    Another question is: how can I mount a share of any fileserver. I
>    miss the tool smbmount. So I tried "\\\\server\\share password -U
>    administrator -c "/bin/mount /mountpoint" but get the error
>    "command not found".

smbmount is an optional tool (you can only use it with Linux). Ask for
it during configuration, e.g.

# ./configure --with-smbmount

The usage of smbmount has changed (but man-page and README-smbmount haven't):

# ./smbmount -h
Usage: smbmount //server/share mountpoint [options ...]
Version 2.0.5a
        -d debuglevel         set the debuglevel
        -n netbios name.      Use this name as my netbios name
        -N                    don't ask for a password
        -I dest IP            use this IP to connect to
        -E                    write messages to stderr instead of stdout
        -U username           set the network username
        -W workgroup          set the workgroup name
        -t terminal code      terminal i/o code {sjis|euc|jis7|jis8|junet|hex}

As you see, the -c option is no longer there. The mountpoint is now
(once again) the second argument.

Kevin
--
  _              |   Kevin Ivory          | Tel: ++49-551-3700005
 |_     |\ |     |   Service Network GmbH | Fax: ++49-551-3700009