Why does RH's Samba build use a file for shared memory?

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.org
Thu Jul 22 07:43:09 GMT 1999

> I've noticed that in the RPMs available from the Samba team's Website
> that they use RAM to hold the shared memory (this is the default),
> while RedHat's own RPMs create a file to hold that data.

nope, Samba 2.0.4 used a file because with Linux 2.0.XX mmap/fcntl is
faster than shmem/semops. In Linux 2.2 the SysV shmem/semops code was
greatly improved and is now much faster than mmap/fcntl so I decided
to remove the special case for Linux and now Linux uses SysV if
available and mmap if ont, just like all the other Unixes we support.

So the difference is 2.0.4 -> 2.0.5 not samba.org -> redhat.com

Cheers, Tridge