Why does RH's Samba build use a file for shared memory?

Steve Snyder swsnyder at home.com
Wed Jul 21 14:55:07 GMT 1999

Samba needs a block of shared memory for storing file handles and
related info.  The amount of memory to use is defined as a specific
size (default: 1MB), created at smbd startup, and used thereafter.

I've noticed that in the RPMs available from the Samba team's Website
that they use RAM to hold the shared memory (this is the default),
while RedHat's own RPMs create a file to hold that data.

I assume that RAM-based access to the Samba data is faster than
file-based, so why does RedHat not use the default configuration of
storage in RAM?

Thank you.

*** Steve Snyder ***