SAMBA digest 2174

Andrew Howell andrew at vila.it.net.au
Wed Jul 21 07:57:21 GMT 1999

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 12:07:55PM +1000, samba at samba.org wrote:

> Date:   Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:46:14 +1000
> From:   David Crisp <dcrisp at connect.com.au>
> To:     samba at samba.org.au
> Subject: Automatcally installing drivers for HP2000CN/HP890C
>
> Hi,
>
> Im trying to set an HP2000CN up on our network.   Most of the Config works
> great. I can print to the printer remotly via samba etc with no problems.
> The only problems I have are as follows:
>
> 1)  I cant stop the LPD printing a cover sheet on each printout :(  WHile
> this one is not technically a Samba problem,  THe following one is:
>
> 2)  Im wanting to automatically install the printer drivers for the
> Hp2000cn(and the Hp890c)  when you click on the Samba Shared Printer.
> The problem here is that I cant work out which drivers to  add to the
> [printer$] defined directory.   Neither the msprint.inf msprint2.inf contain
> the definitions for this printer as per the:
>  PRINTER_DRIVER.txt for Samba release 1.9.18p10 20 Aug 1998 file..
>
> And I cant find other refrences to the drivers required directly in any of
> the HP Provided ini files :(
>
> I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions?  Or experiences

The Printer_driver.txt file says you should check oem?.inf for drivers you
installed yourself. I actually did this yesterday so it's a little clear in
my mind more than usual. I was installing a HP 4050 driver and HP actually put
it in hp4050.inf rather than one of the oem.inf files which was nice of them.

Try just looking in c:\windows\inf sorted by date.

basically just following what PRINTER_DRIVER.txt says worked perfectly for me.

Andrew

--
Andrew Howell
Managing Director