Anyone successfully using a HP 8000 DN (with JetDirect module and IP) with samba?

David Crisp dcrisp at connect.com.au
Wed Jul 21 01:30:09 GMT 1999

Remember of course that these printers are nice Postscript printers.    We
use 5 of these beasts for our printing.
The following configs seem to work for us.

Printer Drivers on Windows:
--------------------------

We use the Adobe Postscript Printer Drivers.

Adobe® PostScript® Printer Driver AdobePS (TM) 5.0.1 for
Microsoft® Windows NT (TM) Version 4.0
U.S. English

From: http://www.adobe.com

Samba Config section for the printers:
--------------------------------------

printers.conf

[printer$]
    path = /var/spool/samba/printers
    admin users = me
    browseable = no
    printable = no
    public = yes
    writable = no
    locking = no

[HP8000]
    comment = HP8000
    printer driver = HP8000N
    path = /var/spool/samba/printjobs
    browseable = yes
    printable = yes
    public = no
    writable = no

Printer.def

LJ8000N:ADOBEPS4.DRV:HP8000_4.PPD:ADOBEPS4.HLP:PostScript Language \
Monitor:RAW:HP8000_4.PPD,ADOBEPS4.DRV,ADOBEPS4.HLP,DEFPRTR2.PPD, \
ADFONTS.MFM,ICONLIB.DLL,PSMON.DLL,PSCRIPT.INI

/etc/printcap
-------------

hp8000|hp8000
        :tc=@melclient

hp8000|hp8000
        :oh=printserver
        :lp=hp8000n.mel%9100
        :connect_grace#1
        :tc=@ctihpfilter

#       global defaults
#       ---------------

@defaults
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P
#       :af=acct
        :lf=log
        :ps=status
        :rw
        :sh
        :mx#0
        :xt@
        :send_try#1
        :send_failure_action=remove

@melclient
        :rm=printserver
        :tc=@defaults

@ctihpfilter
        :tc=@defaults
        :if=/opt/local/lib/filters/ifhp
        :of=/opt/local/lib/filters/ofhp

To make all this work We use LPRNG with the CTI-ifhp-2.2.3 filters installed:

LprNG  can be got from :

Web Page and HOWTO in HTML format:
   http://www.astart.com/LPRng.html
   and the HOWTO/ directory in the distribution

The software may be obtained from
   ftp://ftp.astart.com/pub/LPRng  (Main site)

CTI-ifhp-2.2.3  can be got from : ?????
   I cant rememebr where we downloaded this from! :(  if sombody could
remind me that would be good :)  *ducks*

Once all that is installed and configured I think it should all work
perfectly :)  Good luck!

Let me know if you have problems! :)

Regards,

David Crisp