Print filters when sending jobs to windows printer?

Ryan Robinson nebulous at inconnect.com
Tue Jul 20 06:20:26 GMT 1999

Well, I finally managed to setup samba printing... almost.  smbprint
seems well and good... if you have a postscript printer, which I don't.
So, I just see stair-stepping, raw postscript on the win98 box printer
I'm sending to.  I've configured magicfilter to handle postscript with
gs, but I'm having trouble integrating magicfilter with smbprint.  I'm
not much of an expert on shell scripting, so a little help would be
appreciated.  All attempts by me have resulted in... zero output on the
printer.

My /etc/printcap entry:

#REMOTE HP Deskjet 722C
hp:hp722c:\
        :cm=Remote HP Deskjet 722C: \
        :lp=/dev/null:sh: \
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp: \
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp/acct: \
        :if=/usr/local/bin/smbprint: \
        :mx=0:

My magicfilter script resides in /etc/magicfilter/hpdj550-filter -- kid
tested, mother approved. :^)

The relevent tidbit of smbprint... how the heck should I modify this?
(feel free to edit in the reply)

#
# Some debugging help, change the >> to > if you want to same space.
#
echo "server $server, service $service" >> $logfile

(
# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want
automatic
# CR/LF translation when printing.
#       echo translate
        echo "print -"
        cat
) | /usr/local/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password -U
$server -N -P >> $logfile

--
Thanks for the help.  I look forward to a life of samba using bliss...
and such... *stumbles down the hall to bed*

-Ryan