2.0.4b: logrotate problems

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at coyote.rain.org
Sat Jul 17 23:16:19 GMT 1999

On 18 Jul 99, giulioo at tiscalinet.it (Giulio Orsero) had questions
about 2.0.4b: logrotate problems:

[snip]
> As I said, my problem was not that logrotate didn't rotate; but
> thet after logrotate rotated a log smbd kept logging to the
> rotated file instead of to the newly created, empty, log.smb. The
> newly created log.smb remained empty forever, till I restarted
> smbd.

Yes, I understand that part.  I assumed that, if it was a problem
with samba, that it was specific to the 2.0.x version(s) you were
running.  That's why I was taken aback by your previous post about
having the same problem with samba 1.9.18 (on Data General UNIX?).
1.9.18p10 works fine for me, ie samba writes to the new log file
just as it should, so something else must be wrong with the DG/UX
setup.

I'm glad your 2.0.x problem is fixed; my network is finally up, so
I can start playing with all the new stuff soon (as soon as re-do
two of the windoze clients from scratch.  windoze is such a piece
of crap...)

Steve