2.0.4b: logrotate problems with rh60

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Sat Jul 17 07:55:21 GMT 1999

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999 10:39:34 +1000, hai scritto:

>Does your source have the patch for the above 64-bit glitch?  Do
>you compile your own kernel too?
Yes.

>No way.  It works fine with 1.9.18p10 on RH4.2 (kernel 2.0.30, all
>libc5).  Even 0 byte logs are correctly rotated and compressed
>(they're not good for much, but they're there).  What version of
>logrotate are you running on DG/UX?  The only bummer with the
As I said, my problem was not that logrotate didn't rotate; but thet after
logrotate rotated a log smbd kept logging to the rotated file instead of to
the newly created, empty, log.smb. The newly created log.smb remained empty
forever, till I restarted smbd.

I sent the problem to samba-bugs, Andrew Tridgell emailed me saying:
===
Thanks, I've fixed smbd/nmbd to reopen the logs after a SIGHUP and updated the
logrotate scripts
===

Yesterday I cvs'ed pre-2.0.5 (or pre-2.0.6, I'm not so able to undertstanf CVS
TAGs) and it was really fixed, now smbd and nmbd reopen the logs after a
sighup.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it