Carriage Returns in files after copying

mludwig at nj.navisys.com mludwig at nj.navisys.com
Fri Jul 16 15:59:04 GMT 1999

I apologize in advance if I'm wasting bandwidth with a simple question, but
I was unable to find a solution for this problem in the documentation...

I've got a set of shares set up on a SUN Enterprise 5500 using Samba 2.0.4.
In Windows NT, I map a drive to the share.  When I copy a text file from
Windows NT to the SUN, editing the file in UNIX shows that ^M has been added
to the end of each line.  It's almost like the copy cannot distinguish
between a text file and a binary, because the same problem occurs when I ftp
a text file from one machine to another in binary mode.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Mitch