[oplock_break] Re: Nasty Samba Locking Problems

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Fri Jul 16 14:15:45 GMT 1999

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:10:47 +1000, hai scritto:

>it nearly always happens if you have oplocks turned on and
>a virus checker running on the client pc(win95 and win98)
>and you open a word/excel document or just try to browse a
>directory via explorer.

Ok, let's write down when it happens.

To me it happened (we dont't use word/excel):
- opening html files with ie5/win98
- opening tar.gz/zip files with winzip ("it's a tar.gz, do you want to
uncompress...", "yes", winzip stalls)
- selecting a file with explorer and then "copy" button (to paste on local
disk), after "copy" explorer stalls.
- clicking on a setup.exe to install a prog, explorer stalls.

The weird thing is that when it happens it keeps happening for some time
(10/15min), even if I shut down/restart samba; the pc becomes unusable.
Once I tried rebooting but it didn't help (but that time I didn't shut
down/restart samba).

Wouldn't it be possible for samba to shut down the smbd before the canonical
30secs (after which the documents are retrieved ok)? Maybe 5/8sec, so the user
il less upset?

My lan is made up with 3com cards, 10Mbps.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it