[oplock_break] Re: Nasty Samba Locking Problems

Paul Sergeant pfs at mercuryint.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 09:07:10 GMT 1999

we have the same problem with 2.0.3 on redhat 5.2 kernel 2.10??.

it nearly always happens if you have oplocks turned on and
a virus checker running on the client pc(win95 and win98)
and you open a word/excel document or just try to browse a
directory via explorer.

there is usually a long time out then word or excel will
report a network problem or corruption to the file.

explorer can take upto 5 minutes to return.

we see the oplock_break error in the log file and the
word/excel document name.

when we turn  oplocks off the problem goes away.

the virus checker is norton anti-virus 4 or 5.

word is part of office 97 or 2000.

paul sergeant
it manager.