2.0.4b: logrotate problems with rh60

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Wed Jul 14 09:53:34 GMT 1999

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 10:28:03 +1000, hai scritto:

>Mind if I ask why?  Much of the default RedHat setup (and
>linux/unix in general) seems to assume that the machine will run
>continuously.  And linux generally hums right along until the power
>or the hardware fails.
Because they are not "computer persons", they like to switch off everything
when they go home. There is no way I can convince them.

>It looks like the new log file is created by logrotate.  Anymore I
>can do to confuse you, just let me know ;)
Yes logortate creates the new files, but samba keeps logging to the old one:
logrotate creates log.smb, samba logs to log.smb.1

For this reason I ask you if samba would create a file by its own; if we don't
consider logrotate at all, and:
- mv /var/log/samba/log.smb /var/log/samba/log.smb.old
- killall -HUP smbd
Will samba
a) create a new log.smb file and log to it
b) keep logging to log.smb.old
?
On my system it's b).
If it is so by design, then even if logrotate creates the new file for samba,
samba will ignore it and keep logging to the old one (this is what I see).
Yes, I see the new file logrotate creates, but it is empty, till the next
samba restart.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it