Virus checking

Michel michel at nyenrode.nl
Tue Jul 13 22:34:45 GMT 1999

> Hi,
> I have had a look at this, and it seems to use the VirusScan 3 engine
> and not the version 4. I have found it doesn't detect some of the latest
> word macro viruses. Even when I have downloaded the latest DAT files.
>
>Regards,
>Nicholas Waltham

Except for McAfee (NAI), there are two more antivirus products available
for Linux; One is from Sophos (www.sophos.com) and the other, more
promising, is from Kaspersky Labs (www.avp.ru); it is a very powerful
virusscanner, muxh more up to date than McAfee's, and it does provide
a way to use Linux auditing; this can provide a means to perform some
sort of "on access" scanning (it can scan written files with some delay
after completion of the write).

The need for real "on access scanning" has Kaspersky Lab's attention and
they are trying to come up with a solution for this. This I was told by
Vyacheslav Medvedev from Kaspersky Labs.

Michel.

  Michel van der Laan	-	michel at nijenrode.nl
				http://www.nijenrode.nl/~michel