2.0.4b: logrotate problems with rh60

Giulio Orsero giulioo at tiscalinet.it
Sat Jul 10 14:18:09 GMT 1999

The 2.04b rpm for rh60 ships with and installs a config file for logrotate
(the samba.log file in the packaging/RedHat section).

=====
/var/log/samba/log.nmb {
    postrotate
       /usr/bin/killall -HUP nmbd
   endrotate
}

/var/log/samba/log.smb {
    postrotate
        /usr/bin/killall -HUP smbd
    endrotate
}
=====

1)
I think that the use of "endrotate" is wrong.
There is no "endrotate" in logrotate's (logrotate-3.2-1) man pages; the man
examples use "endscript".
The use of "endrotate" has the effect that logrotate does only the rotation of
the first entry of the file, log.nmb, and leaves log.smb "not-rotated".
If I put "endscript" in place of "endrotate" then log.smb is rotated too.

2)
It seems that once the log file is rotated smbd keeps logging to the old
renamed/rotated file.
Is "killall -HUP smbd" (since it is used as the postrotate script) supposed to
tell smbd to reopen the log file? If not, what's the reason for the "killall
-HUP smbd" in the logrotate file?
The man for smbd doesn't say anything about this; it just says that the HUP
signal causes smbd to re-load its smb.conf configuration file within a short
period of time.

Thanks.

giulioo at tiscalinet.it