Browsing only works when in Samba workgroup

Robert Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 10:08:42 GMT 1999

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 21:26:22 -0400 Steve Meisner
<smeisner at concentric.net> wrote:

> How do you have Remote Browse Announce and Remote Browse Sync set?

I don't have either of these set at all.  Here's some more info to
clarify what I'm up to:

                    Samba <server>

            ----------------------------- subnet 1

             Router

      -------------------- subnet 2

     Win95 <client>

The server (Samba 1.9.18p10) has:

  wins support = yes
  dns proxy = yes

  os level = 64
  local master = yes
  domain master = yes
  preferred master = yes

The client is Windows 95 (original release), with the WINS server
pointing at the Samba server (only); it is a P-node machine (WINS only).
If I try a 'net view \\nibbles' (where 'nibbles' is some other server in
a third subnet which has registered itself with the WINS server) it works
fine.

When I look in the ../var/locks/... files on the server, I can see the
browse list and WINS database being built OK.

If the 95 machine is in the same workgroup as the Samba machine, I see
everything in the 'Entire Network'.  If it is in a different workgroup
(either one which it is in on its own or one which other machines (which
may or may not have the WINS server address configured), it does not; it
only sees the workgroups on the same subnet).

I don't think I can use 'remote browse (announce|sync)' because I don't
know the addresses of the browse masters on the other subnets to sync
with.

Thanks for you help!

  - Bob

  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  IT Services                                   r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.              http://www.rdg.ac.uk/~vis96rcf/