File Locking (PR#18687)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Tue Jul 6 23:25:19 GMT 1999

Mattc at genesis2000.com wrote:

> The program is the one our comany makes, called Genesis 2000 for windows. I
> am currently engaged on testing for this on the Samba server platofrm. I am
> using the built-in samba package on Linux Mandrake 6.0. Smbd ver 2.0.3.
>
> We experience problems with file locking. Our program is based on dbase
> technology, running clipper command set (for the DOS front end) and Codebase
> (For windows front end). During login to the database, The database
> containing the active users does not unlock, meaning that only one person
> can login.

Unfortunately, all distributions based on RedHat 6.0
have a glibc locking bug that affects the Samba they
ship - with exactly these symptoms.

I have worked around this bug by modifying the Samba
code for a glibc2.1 build - this new rpm may be found
on the Samba site (www.samba.org) as a Samba 2.0.4b rpm
package.

I would recommend you get this version and test against
that, I believe it will solve the problems you are having.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.