Installation of Samba on SVR3 unix

Eugene Rice edr at plaza.ds.adp.com
Tue Jul 6 16:34:09 GMT 1999

There are several ways of doing this:

1) untar samba on a system supporting long filenames (even PC), renaming
modules there then copying to the SVR3 system (hard way).  Remember to
rename all references to the shortened modules (makefile, includes, ...).
2) untar on a system that supports long filenames and mount on SVR3.  Should
be able to compile without renaming modules.  (I have not tried this)

There are patches you may need to make related to samba running with the 14
char limit.  I too am running Samba 1.9.16p9 on Motorola SVR3.

> I have attempted to install Samba on an ageing Motorola running SVR3.
> Unfortunately it has a limitation of 14 characters for filenames,
> which means that when I untar the package, many of the files are not
> created.

> Does anyone have a solution to this problem, or am I stuck?

Eugene Rice, ADP Dealer Services Inc.
edr at plaza.ds.adp.com
Phone: (503) 402-3441
       (503) 294-4200 x 3441