How to test WINS functionality and swat question

Ariel_Orellana at penoles.com.mx Ariel_Orellana at penoles.com.mx
Mon Jul 5 23:17:48 GMT 1999

Hi,

The two servers I will mention are HP-UX 10.20 with samba-2.0.3

I've setup a dual-homed host and face two challenges.  All of a sudden
swat has stopped serving web pages.  I did no radical changes to the
smb.conf file (via swat) and now I get a "web server found, waiting for
answer" message and it just stays there, I can find no relevant error
message in the log files.  This isn't all that criticall since I can
still edit by hand, but it does bother me, and I'm afraid it means I
have bigger problems.  Any pointers?

Secondly, I'm not exactly sure my host, which has "wins support = yes"
option, with no other WINS server in the network, is working.  How can
I test this?   For example, I have another samba server which has "wins
server = 130.6.96.2" (the first server) but it never shows up in browse
lists.  The wins.dat file and browse.dat file in the dual-homed host
make no mention of the second host, but I'm not sure that actually
means anything.   No log file makes mention of any error.

Heres my globals section:

        workgroup = INFORMATICA
        interfaces = 130.6.96.2/24 130.6.98.2/24
        max log size = 500
        log level = 2
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
        socket options =
        printcap name = lpstat
        os level = 62
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        remote announce = 130.6.98.255
        remote browse sync = 130.6.98.255
        guest account = red

Thanks for any help you gurus might provide.
Ariel R. Orellana