Time Sync Details

Chris Watt grimm at mad.scientist.com
Sun Jul 4 01:27:44 GMT 1999

On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 10:11:06PM +1000, Alexander Yemtsov wrote:

> Again about time sync Win and Linux. If there is a way to sync. time of
Windoze
> and my LInux server except "net time \\flash /set /yes". That way works
wonderfull
> and properly, but BAD user of my net DON"T want to remember their
passwords....

The fact that it's asking for a password at all is unusual. I would guess
that this implies that you haven't setup a valid guest account, but I could
be wrong.

At any rate, if you can't get timesync working with Samba you can always
use NTP. Any number of freely downloadable NTP clients for Windows exist (I
seem to recall having used something called NetDate once in the distant
past), and xntpd or some such package will provide you with an NTP server.
The only problem I'm aware of is that afaik NTP will die in 2038, but at
least you've got some time to prepare yourself :)
--

Who is this General Failure, and why is he reading my hard disk?