Linux can't telnet to WFW 3.11

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Thu Jul 1 22:30:41 GMT 1999

When the world was young, "Keith G. Murphy"
<keithmur at mindspring.com> carved some runes like this:

> Benjamin Scott wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 27 Jun 1999, Ulung Pribadi wrote:
> > > My server is RH 5.2 and i use Samba 1.9.18p10 and the client use WFW
> > > 3.11 with tcp/ip protocols installed. The subnet and the IP Address is
> > > right but I still only telnet form WFW 3.11 to Linux...not the
> > > reverse.
[snip]
> >   Some third party solutions include Symantec's PCanywhere, Citrix
> >   WinFrame (which Microsoft licensed for their Windows Terminal
> > Server), and
> >
> Another, lesser-known one that works extremely well for us is Proxy from
> Funk Software.  But this is academic if there is no Linux client.  Hmmm,
> there is a Proxy Master (client) for Win3.1, wonder if you could run it
> under Wine or DOSEMU?
>
> I believe VNC is really supposed to be the answer, though.  I haven't
> tried it (yet).
>
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc

The first guy is right; win31/95 don't have any TCP/IP services or
daemons running to allow incoming connections like that (analogous
to the linux telnet/ftp daemons).  A third party software package
is your only choice.  VNC is very good, but I don't think the
server works with with win31 (win95 or better).  There is now a DOS
viewer on the contrib page (but no server), however, the windows
sources are available.  I have no idea how hard it would be (maybe
not even doable) to compile the sources under the win32s subset
(ie, for win31).

If you could replace win31 with linux/wine/dosemu, things would be
much simpler...

Steve