Samba shares accessible from Win98 but not WinNT

Jon Drukman jsd at gamespot.com
Thu Jul 1 18:21:22 GMT 1999

The subject line says it all really.  I'm running Samba 2.0.4.b on FreeBSD,
sharing a tree as I normally do (we use samba on about a dozen machines so
I'm reasonably familiar with it).  This one particular machine is not
accessible from Windows NT Workstation 4.0 clients.  It works fine for
Windows 95 and Windows 98 clients.

The machine does not show up in the Network Neighborhood for anyone - that
part is understandable, it is on a different subnet.  Using Find->Computer
on *some* NT boxes detects the computer, but on other NT boxes it doesn't
even find it.

If the NT box can find it, opening it gets the "\\flaya is not accessible,
the network path was not found" error message.

Any ideas?  Let me know if you need more information.  Thanks.

Jon Drukman
Director Of Technology
GameSpot