configure command for SAMBA 2.0.0 fails under HP-UX 10.20

Steve Fosdick steve.fosdick at aom.bt.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 16:02:57 GMT 1999

The symptoms described exactly match the experince I had compiling the
software on HP-UX 10.20 with gcc.

Asuming the cause is the same then the error occurs much earlier on in
the
configure processes and is associated with large file support.  The
flags specified in the configure script for HP-UX cause an error to be
reported in teh sydsyms.h file with the know on effect that all the test
programs that configure tries to compile to test of the OS has various
features fail and configure is left thinking there isn't a file locking
or IPC mechanism available to implement locks in samba.

The solution I adopted was to insert an extra define in the CFLAGS line
for the HP-UX large files entry and this seems to solve the problem.  To
do this edit the 'configure' script and look for the line:

	# Defines needed for HPUX large file support..

then change:

	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

to:

	CPPFLAGS="$CPPFLAGS -D__STDC_EXT__ -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

Steve Fosdick                  Internet: fosdicsj at aom.bt.co.uk
Voice: +44 1473 642987         MSMAIL:   BTEA/BTLIP23/FOSDICSJ
Fax:   +44 1473 646656         BOAT:     FOSDICSJ
Snail: B29/G34, BT Labs, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, England.