Large companies using SAMBA ?

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Jan 13 15:56:38 GMT 1999

Well we are not a company, but a University.  We have around 70 Sun servers
running Samba 1.9.18p10, 20,000 users and currently around 500 client NT
machines - though that number is growing rapidly.  So I think this counts as
large.

Samba seems to do quite well compared with NFS (which is what we use with the
Windows 3.11 machines) from our tests & experience.  We have hit limits with
shared memory and configuring too many shares - but have I think overcome
these problems.

Overall I would say we are happy.  The biggest problems are with the Microsoft
architecture which does not scale (eg just 2 WINS servers, the whole browsing
botch etc).  Still the users demand Microsoft - so we oblige.

Also check out the Samba survey (if it is back on-line) at the Samba site.