Samba and logrotate from Redhat

Peter Polkinghorne Peter.Polkinghorne at brunel.ac.uk
Wed Jan 13 16:08:24 GMT 1999

btenison at dibbs.net said:
> Has anyone had any success in getting Samba to correctly restart
> logging to the log files with the default logrotate setup (or even a
> modified one) from RedHat?  The default setup is to move the files to
> another location, create a new file for Samba to fill, then send the
> daemons a HUP signal.

The Samba log files (in 1.9.18p10 at least), are really just swapped round by
size - so logrotate is not really appropriate.  The solution I use is just to
rely on the syslogs (which you can get Samba to log to) and use that for
weekly and long term records.

As others have mentioned, the only way to get Samba to open the log files
again is to kill all the samba daemons off and move the logs file and the
restart.