Samba 1.9.18 DOS to UNIX and back with ASCII

William Stuart william at hae.com
Thu Jan 7 18:19:35 GMT 1999

This is a universal problem in UNIX and NT integration.  AFAIK, SAMBA does
nothing to make this conversion.

There are folks who are working on a solution, but it won't be perfect.

The problem lies in the question: "When do I convert?"

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to dectect a binary files vs. text
files.  This is why FTP programs require you to select "image" or "ASCII".

The only way I know to do this is with extensions or MIME types.  This will
require some disipline on your users part to standardize the naming
conventions.
---
William Stuart (william at hae.com)