Backup using ARCserve

Malcolm McLeary mim at mac.net.au
Wed Feb 24 02:22:07 GMT 1999

Hi,

I've recently installed a Cobalt Qube (i.e Linux Server) to handle email
and filesharing requirements for a small business ... replacing an NT
Workstation, however I'd like to maintain the current backup process
which is ARCserver running on an NT Server.

This was working fine NT to NT (i.e NT Server does a backup of its local
drives, and then does a backup of the shares on the NT Workstation), but
I don't seem to be able to get it to backup the Qube in the same fashion
(the Qube is running SAMBA).

Having a closer look at what is happening I note that the NT Server is
running ARCserver for NT - Single Server Edition, which will happily
backup shares on remote NT Workstations but not other NT Servers ... for
that I'm told you need ARCserve for NT - Enterprise Edition.

There are a couple of possible solutions ...

1.   upgrade to ARCserve for NT - Enterprise Edition ($$$)

2.   install a module to support Linux clients (if such a beast is
available)

3.   configure SAMBA so it "appears" on the network as an NT Workstation.

Personally I'd like to keep it simple and just backup the shares on the
Qube, so option 3 is my preference ... is it possible?

Since the Qube comes completely preconfigured, I didn't have to install
Linux or SAMBA so I have no experience with SAMBA except as an end user.
I'd guess a change to /etc/smb.conf is required ...

Cheers,  Malcolm

                     TDA Systems Engineering Pty Ltd
                           Canberra, Australia
                        http://www.tdasys.com.au/

Malcolm McLeary                                  Phone: +61 2 6251-5270
Systems Engineer                                 Mobile:   0412 636 086
FileMaker Solutions Alliance Member              Email:  mim at mac.net.au

     This message was sent using Claris Emailer 2.0v3 for Macintosh.