Domain Controller -- Logon Scripts

jeff at bluesine.tj jeff at bluesine.tj
Thu Feb 18 02:13:10 GMT 1999

Sorry.  I may have phrased that better.  I DO login on the 95 machine as say
the user 'jeff'.  This works and the 95 box promptly connects to the Samba box
as guest a.k.a nobody.  The 95 box then downloads/runs the login script on the
local (95) machine.  My problem is when the scripts run all the "net use z:
\\sureal\scratch" type commands are trying to map drives as 'nobody'.  This is
semi-ok for the scratch shares but not for home dirs.

I've tried specifying the user name in the logon scripts but it keeps asking
for the password which won't work (ie. it's not looking in the pwl files ).
I could probably make it work by including the passwords in the logon scripts
which would be extrememly stupid since the netlogon share is publicly available.

Jeff

On 18-Feb-99 Joel wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 08:26:43AM +1100, jeff at bluesine.tj wrote:
>
>> I have a question RE the Login Scripts w/ Samba.  I have Samba setup for
>> domain
>> logins, the netlogon share created and all my scripts but, as far as I can
>> tell, my Win95 clients are running the scripts as nobody which kills all the
>> drive mappings the scripts perform.   Anyone know how to force the 95 boxes
>> authenticate before login scripts?
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you *have* to login to the 95
> workstation (ie enter a user/pass at the windows login screen and not
> press cancel) before 95 will run the login script?  I've never seen 95 run
> the login script without the user first logging in.
>
> Also, the login script commands are carried out on the local workstation,
> not on the samba server so how are they running as 'nobody'?
>
> All I did on my LAN was configure samba to do the domain login and login
> script thing, created a .bat file in the netlogon share with the following
> types of entries "net use \\server\public f:". When I login the script
> runs locally and all drives get mapped :)
>
> Lemme know if you have any further questions.
>
> --
>
>  Joel Knight                                  jwknight at cyberlink.bc.ca
>
>  PGP Key: hkp://keys.pgp.com/jwknight@cyberlink.bc.ca
>  KeyID 2048/38C24864
>  Fingerprint 6D7D 1E4F 728B ACDA 6557  F3EC 85BB BA7C 38C2 4864

- --
/\___ \          /'___\ /'___\    Jeff Clement
\/__/\ \     __ /\ \__//\ \__/    jeff at bluesine.tj
   \/___/  \/____/ \/_/   \/_/    http://www.bluesine.tj
Server Uptimes : Sureal [  10 days ], Seria [  1 day ], Trinity [  1 day ]