Nmbd configuration

Atatür YILDIRIM atatur.yildirim at simko.com.tr
Wed Feb 17 13:36:13 GMT 1999

Hi for everyone,

I recently set up Samba 2.0.2 on a Sparc-Solaris 7 box and have been learning and trying to make it operational since then. I also set up and used Swat. First three tests in the Diagnosis.txt was ok. (i.e. smbd server is ok.) but the 4th test says that nmbd is incorrectly installed. I run it in inetd.conf like smbd, not as a daemon. In man page, it is said that running nmbd in inetd.conf is not recommended. Is it really so?
What's interesting is that there is nothing about the installation of nmbd in man pages opposite to the smbd man page. In smbd man page, there is an installation part which seperately explains the inetd.conf and daemon setups and lines to be put. And I did it for inetd.conf for smbd. But this lacks for nmbd. One can decide only the smbd setup is sufficient but I think it is not. Besides, Swat shows that nmbd is running, but the 4th test (nmblookup -B server _SAMBA_) returns exactly:
        Sending queries to 192.168.1.23
        name query failed to find name server

My inetd.conf contains lines:
       netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -d1 -l/var/adm/smblogs/log -s/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf                 (for smbd)
       swat stream tcp nowait.400 root  /usr/local/samba/bin/swat  swat        (for swat)

Do I have to add a line for nmbd? If so, what's the format for that line?
My /etc/services contains a TCP port having number 139 for smbd. It is said that a UDP port #137 is required for nmbd, isn't it?

Best regards.
Atatur YILDIRIM
Network Engineer (atatur.yildirim at simko.com.tr)