SAMBA digest 1987

Paul Sherwin psherwin at telinco.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 20:49:01 GMT 1999

At 05:46 17/02/99 +1100, you wrote:

>Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:47:50 -0500
>From: "Guy Dallaire" <gdallaire at videotron.ca>
>To: <samba at samba.org>
>Subject: HELP NEEDED: Problems with Samba 1.9.18p10 + Solaris 2.5.1 + Win95
[snip]
>I have no problem seeing the shares from win 95 (OSR2+VREDIR update) =
>network neighborhood. When I connect a drive, I can see the directories =
>but the names are not in the correct case, for example, UNIX BII =
>directory becomes Bii under windows. I could live with that.
[snip]
>I tried all sorts of upper/lower, preserve, case combinations in =
>smb.conf, nothing seems to work. I tried with debug level =3D 3 and I =
>noticed a lot of "Error file not found, line=3D..." in the samba log.
[snip]

You definitely have case conversion problems. W95 preserves case but is
case blind. However, because M$ likes the screen to look pretty a filename
which is all uppercase is displayed with the first letter uppercase and
everything else lowercase in Explorer and other W95 apps. THe command line
(DOS) interface tells the truth, though.

You need
   preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = no
If you try to force names to upper or lower case in the Unix filesystem
this will cause all sorts of grief with W95 - you get the sort of bizarre
errors you're reporting. If you have the Samba tarball, take a look at
Andrew Tridgell's smb.conf file from his home Linux machine - if anybody
knows how to configure Samba properly, it has to be him. It will be in
examples/tridge or some such location.

Best regards, Paul

Paul Sherwin Consulting
22 Monmouth Road, Oxford OX1 4TD, UK