Encrypted password problem

JimSmith at halifax.co.uk JimSmith at halifax.co.uk
Tue Feb 16 18:53:43 GMT 1999

I have a problem using encrypted passwords which seems to be nothing to do
with NT.

I can connect to my Solaris server using unencrypted passwords by disabling
password encryption on the NT workstation I am
using for testing but that is not a realistic option in the long term.

Setting up for encrypted password (encrypted passwords = yes; create
smbpasswd file, setting a password for my user as root) nothing can connect.

"NT reports Incorrect password or unknown userid for \\openlink1"
smbclient and smbpasswd both fail with invalid password messages. Sample
session below.
======================
$ su -
Password:
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.6       Generic August 1997
# /hfx/opt/samba/bin/smbpasswd jstre
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Password changed for user jstre
$ smbclient //openlink1/public
Added interface ip=10.214.19.20 bcast=10.214.19.255 nmask=255.255.254.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair
in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
$ smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change: Error was : The specified
password is invalid.
Failed to change password for jstre

Putting NO PASSWORD in the smbpasswd file and setting "null passwords = yes"
let me in from smbclient, but not from NT.

This implies to me that there is something wrong with smbpasswd somewhere,
but I'm at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm using Samba 2.0.2 on Solaris 2.6, clients NT 4 SP3

Jim Smith, Technical Architect
Halifax Group Treasury, 33 Old Broad Street, London, EC2N 1HZ
Tel: 0171 574 8095 Fax: 0171 574 8132 Mob: 0385 778518 Halifax 01422 391332