Communicator 4.5 & Samba 2.0.0

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at pcshop.com.br
Fri Feb 5 19:28:08 GMT 1999

Jim Morris wrote:

> > Another info: experiment copying your profile directory to a Linux
> > native partition, redefine your share and see if it works from there.
> > It's not what you want, but it can give important clues.
>
> I've thought of that, and might give it a whirl real quick.  Stand by...
>
> Okay, I'm back after about 15 minutes of testing.  Guess what? You are
> right. If I copy all those Netscape folders over to my home directory on
> Linux, and connect that to the D: on the notebook PC, then Netscape
> Communicator has no trouble reading its mail folders with Samba 2.0.0
> running.
>
> So it appears that for SOME reason, the mounted vfat partition is not
> acting the same, permission-wise, under Samba 2.0.0 as 1.9.18p10. I'll
> do some more debugging, and see what I can come up with....

No. Permissions are not likely the problem. You know what might be the
problem? Case conversion and name mangling. I wonder how this
VFAT-partition-mounting interprets names. There's another test for you:

1) Have both shares working, VFAT and Linux, and map each one under a
letter under Win95. (say, D: and E:)

2) Pick some directory (preferably one with both long and short file
names) and, under a DOS box (not DOS mode), do:

	DIR D:\directory
and
	DIR E:\directory

and see if anything funny shows up.

Cya,
--
 ___THE___  One man alone cannot fight the future. USE LINUX!