Possibly missing e-mail

support at sonic.net support at sonic.net
Thu Dec 16 03:03:45 GMT 1999

Regarding your email to a Sonic.net customer:

Due to a problem with an e-mail server, it appears that we may have lost or
deferred some percentage of the e-mail that was received here at Sonic.net
on Tuesday and early Wednesday morning.

Internet e-mail transport is designed to be completely fail-safe, and in
fact the logs on the server indicate that it was successfully making
deliveries, but it does not appear to have been actually writing the
messages to your mailbox.  The design of the e-mail transport protocol does
not allow for this type of failure, and we are currently doing testing to
duplicate and characterize the problem.  When the trouble was discovered,
the server was taken offline immediately, and it is no longer handling any
e-mail.  This server is one of our six e-mail hosts, and it shared the
overall e-mail processing load.

Our logs do include full information on the addresses of all senders and
recipients, and following is a list of the e-mail which was sent from your
account that may be missing.  Please re-send this email if possible, or
followup with the recipient to make sure that it was received. The e-mail
may be in your "Sent items" folder, and you may be able to use the "Forward"
function in your e-mail client to re-send it.

We are very sorry about this uncharacteristic failure, and we are working to
minimize the impact by informing all senders and recipients.

List of missing e-mail:
 Dec 14 11:35:47 peterbe at sonic.net
 Dec 14 19:22:24 peterbe at sonic.net

--