help random connect problems with samba shares

Laurie Care lec at adl.dmt.csiro.au
Thu Dec 16 01:15:30 GMT 1999

Hi,
I have samba2.0.5a running on a sun ultra 2 with Solaris 2.7 installed. Clients
are win95/98 and NT4 SP5. I am running nis and automounter on a sunos 4.1.3
server.

I have had a number of randomly occuring failures to connect to smb shares
reported over the last few weeks. These seem to occur only from the NT clients.

The clients cannot see the samba server at all on some occassions. Other times
they can see the server name in the network neighbourhood but cannot see the
shares, they are then presented with an incorrect password prompt. They enter
the correct user name and password but are still denied access to the shares
list.

Below is an extract from the smb.conf file

  nis homedir = true
  homedir map = auto.home

  log file = /var/samba/log/%m.log
  max log size = 1
  lock directory = /var/samba/locks
  share modes = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

shares are made to users

The output below is the smb.log file for a recent machine that failed to access
the users home directory.

what problem if any does the message indicate?

[1999/12/16 08:15:07, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(521)
  suttung (192.83.238.74) connect to service jps as user jps (uid=380, gid=15)
(pid 7373)
[1999/12/16 08:26:38, 0] smbd/nttrans.c:call_nt_transact_ioctl(2387)
  call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.

I also ran smbclient -L to see if i could contact the PC from the samba server
and got the following error

smbclient -L suttung -U admin
Added interface ip=192.83.238.33 bcast=192.83.238.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)

I then asked the user to browse the neighbourhood. He could then see the server,
was prompted for a password to access the shares. Once he reentered the password
he could access the shares and subsequently mount them.

Other users have reported that if they try a number of times (eg four) they do
eventually connect.

Any ideas what else i should test to help isolated the problem?

Thanks

Laurie Care				CSIRO
Network and Systems Administrator	Manufacturing Science & Technology
Email  Laurie.Care at cmst.csiro.au	Adelaide Laboratory
Ph.	61  08 83039158			P.O. Box 4
Mob.	0418 201719			Woodville 5011
Fax.	61  08 83039222			South Australia