NT domain: errors in diagnostic tests 3 and 7+

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au
Wed Dec 15 06:10:00 GMT 1999

I've made a bit of progress since my first post, but not much.
Anyway, I've already got some value out of this mailing list by
discovering the ORA book on-line.

> However it is not working; either (a) the Windows
> 95/98 clients are being prompted for a password (and no password
> is accepted); or (b) they are getting "The share name was not
found".

Now only (b) (although I think the actual error is in fact the
"network path" was not found, not the "share name").  Error (a) was a
silly mistake on my part I'm afraid which is now solved.  Also, there
are two of my defined shares that *don't* get the error - ie. the
clients can connect OK and without a password.  The ones that are OK
are:

 [cd_rom_j]
 	path = /mnt/cdrom1
 	read only = Yes
 	guest only = Yes
 	guest ok = Yes

 [cd_rom_k]
 	path = /mnt/cdrom2
 	read only = Yes
 	guest only = Yes
 	guest ok = Yes

The ones that are not OK (and yes I have checked that the paths exist,
including capitalisation) are:

 [programs$]
 	path = /mnt/mrdrives/programs
 	read only = No
 	guest only = Yes
 	guest ok = Yes

 [office$]
 	path = /mnt/mrdrives/Office
 	read only = No
 	guest only = Yes
 	guest ok = Yes

 [network$]
 	path = /mnt/mrdrives/Network
 	read only = No
 	guest only = Yes
 	guest ok = Yes

 [masters$]
 	path = /mnt/mrdrives/Masters
 	read only = No
 	guest only = Yes
 	guest ok = Yes

I should explain that these are existing share names on a Windows NT
machine that is being replaced with Samba, although I don't know why
that would make any difference.

> When I try diagnostic test 3 on the samba server, I am prompted
> for a password to view the shares, although I can just press
> Enter.  When I try diagnostic test 7, I get "session setup failed
> - ERRSRV - ERR bad pw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
> tree connect or session setup invalid)".  In diagnostic test 8 I
> get "The specified network password is not correct".

I'm still getting these errors, but I would now speculate that this is
just because the user on the Samba system is not a user in the Windows
NT password database, so I guess these errors can be ignored (or I can
map the root user to the NT Administrator).

- --
JEREMY MALCOLM Jeremy at Malcolm.wattle.id.au http://malcolm.wattle.id.au
SIG of the day: [x] Contact  [ ] Web  [ ] PGP  [ ] Taglines #1  [ ] #2
Residence: 208/112 Mounts Bay Road, West Perth, Western Australia 6005
Phone: +61-8-9226 0689 (H), +61-8-9325 4400 (W) | Fax: +61-8-9421 1762
Mobile: 0419 911 079 | Email: jmm at proctors.com.au, info at netcafe.net.au