Constantly have to restart samba

Dan O'Connor dan at jgl.reno.nv.us
Wed Dec 15 03:19:41 GMT 1999

Hmmm. This does sound odd...

A couple of things I can think of off the top of my head would be:

- Make sure you are using the "interfaces" option in the [global] section of
your smb.conf file.

This will force Samba to broadcast share info on the given interface. By
default, Samba latches onto the first interface it finds (on my machine,
this is usually my modem connection to the Internet, not my ethernet card to
the rest of my network). If this is the case, you won't see the shares in
Network Neighborhood, but you can still map drives by typing in the
\\servername\share address.

- Try setting the following options in [global]:

    os level=36
    preferred master=Yes
    local master=Yes

This will force Samba to become the browse master for your workgroup (by
default Samba lets one of your Win98 machines be the browse master).

If this doesn't help, maybe someone else who has had similar problems will
jump in...

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!