SAMBA digest 2336 / Temporary file grief

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Mon Dec 13 09:19:25 GMT 1999

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>Hi,

>I'm running Samba 2.0.6 here as our main file server. Authentication is
>done against an NT PDC, and Samba is also responsible for printing.

>I'm getting some odd files created which aren't being deleted. They are
>all zero byte files, named after a network interface, so I assume they
>may be temporary files which are not being deleted. Here's a list of a
>few

># find /usr/local/filestore/ -name \*: -print
>/CLIENTS/CURRENT/COLLR/Ne02:
>/CLIENTS/CURRENT/SLDD/surveys/Ne02:
>/PRODUCTN/MISC-TXT/Ne01:
>/PRODUCTN/MISC-TXT/Ne00:
>/SCHEMES/CUSAC/EXECMTGS/Ne03:

>Does anyone know what's creating these, and how I can prevent them from
>cropping up?

>TIA,

>Mike.

Hi,

Welcome to the club. This bug was introduced in Samba 2.0.3 I believe but has never been fixed.

These files are always created if a NT system prints a file from the Samba share to a network printer.

If you set "nt smb support" to NO these files will not be created anymore. I do not know if there are any side effects to other functions.

Best regards,

Axel Neumann