Printing from UNIX to Windows problems - ver 2.0.0 beta4

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Tue Dec 7 19:48:16 GMT 1999

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Ken Moellman wrote:

> I want to be able to print from a unix application which only allows us
> to specify a printer (in essence, it lets us specify the -d parameter
> for the lp command), but I need to print to a windows box.
>
> I've searched the documentation and the recent messages on the different
> mailing lists, but haven't found a solution.
>
> The windows box will have a static IP address and have print sharing
> turned on, and allow anyone to print to it's printers.
>
> If someone can even just point me to some relevant documentation, I'd be
> a very happy boy.

I'd take a look at the examples included with samba:
examples/printing/smbprint
examples/printing/smbprint.sysv

I haven't used these directly, but the smbprint in RedHat Linux is based
on the same thing and that works great for me. The scripts contain
explanations on how to set it up.

If the printer isn't a postscript printer you need to run it through
something like ghostscript to convert postscript to PCL5 or whatever.

The RedHat filters do this, but I can't directly follow what they do. The
package name is rhs-printfilters, in case you want to get a copy.

/Urban