nmbd problem on private LAN

Dan Delaney Dionysos at Dionysia.org
Fri Dec 3 15:16:36 GMT 1999

Hi all. Could any of you SAMBA gurus help me out here?

I've set up a SAMBA server, under Mandrake Linux 6.1. It's being used on a
private LAN (not connected to the Internet) in an office. When I set it up
at home to test it out it worked fine, but when I got it down to the office
and set it up on their LAN, I get the following errors in log.nmb:

nmbd/nmb_packets.c:send_netbios_packet(170)
   send_netbios_packet: send_packet() to IP 192.100.100.255 port 137 failed
nmbd/nmbd+nameregister.c:register_name(362)
   register_name: failed to send packet trying to register name SMBSERVER
libsmb/nmblib.c: send_udp(754)
   Packet send failed to 192.100.100.255(138) ERRNO= Invalid argument

At home I didn't get ANYTHING in the log about it trying to broadcast to
192.100.100.255. All I got was a message that said that SAMBA was
established as the local master for subnet 192.100.100.2 and it worked just
fine with my Windoze 98 machine. Anyone know what the problem is here?

Thanks.
--Dan