Case sensitivity on Redhat 6.1

Neal J. Gieselman ngieselman at digitalbiometrics.com
Fri Dec 3 15:12:46 GMT 1999

Hello,
I just converted a redhat 5.2 to 6.1.
All is ok except I have an anomoly in the Samba setup that has me stumped.

I have my NT WS mounted to Linux.  I set the smb. conf to:
  preserve case = yes
  short preserve case = yes
# Default case is normally upper case for all DOS files
;  default case = lower
# Be very careful with case sensitivity - it can break things!
  case sensitive = no

When I fire the MKS korn shell and go to the Samba mount, the case
of the files and directories is fine.  After loading 6.1, I can not get the case
to come up properly.  Always lower case.  If I set case sensitive to yes, the
display is still lower case but the case must be proper in order to cd or access
a file.

I replaced the 6.1 daemons (smbd and nmbd) with the 5.2 version, kept the same
smb.conf file, and all was fine.  It appears to be the behaviour of the daemons?

Oh, one more screwy thing, if I fire a dos window and cd to the Samba mount,
the case of the directories is fine whether I am running 6.1 or the 5.2 daemons