SAMBA digest 2208

johnjmedway jmedway at tivoli.com
Mon Aug 23 17:44:03 GMT 1999

>Date:   Sat, 21 Aug 1999 22:07:00 +0200
>From:   "Robert Claeson" <robert.claeson at brightid.se>
>Subject: Windows 2000 and Samba 2.0.5a
>
>As we installed the first machines with Windows 2000 beta 3 (build 2031), we
>also upgraded our Samba servers to 2.0.5a but are having problems connecting
>to the servers. A net use x: \\samba\share works, but not browsing. As soon
>as somebody tries to open the Samba server in "Network Neighborhood", either
>a login dialog (that never accepts the username/password however correct
>they might be) or an error dialog is displayed.

We had a similar behavioral problem with our Solaris 2.6 Samba 2.0.5a
server. In our case, it seemed to be related to the "comment =" lines in
smb.conf.

I say "seemed" because we haven't taken the time to properly analyze this,
but we found that given N shares available from the Samba server, if there
are also N "comment =" lines in the smb.conf file, clients fail when
browsing (RPC or path not found errors), or at the run \\filesystem prompt,
but work fine with a "net use" or mapping a drive through the GUI. Reducing
the number of "comment =" lines to N-1 in number seemed to fix the problem.

>It all works beautifully well with NT4 SP3-5, though.

Our problem extended to WinNT 3.5.1, and Win NT 4.0 with any service pack,
as well as Win 2K. Always worked fine with Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98, OS/2, ...