Windows 2000 and Samba 2.0.5a

Robert Claeson robert.claeson at brightid.se
Sat Aug 21 20:07:00 GMT 1999

As we installed the first machines with Windows 2000 beta 3 (build 2031), we
also upgraded our Samba servers to 2.0.5a but are having problems connecting
to the servers. A net use x: \\samba\share works, but not browsing. As soon
as somebody tries to open the Samba server in "Network Neighborhood", either
a login dialog (that never accepts the username/password however correct
they might be) or an error dialog is displayed.

Character set handling also seems to be out of order. Non-ASCII characters
in filenames are displayed correctly, but apparently not mapped correctly in
the direction to the server. Namely, I can't open, delete or do anything
with files whose names contains non-ASCII characters.

It all works beautifully well with NT4 SP3-5, though.

/Robert