FW: HELP: having problem with timestamps of files with linux sam ba client and winnt shared drive

Jan Kratochvil short at ucw.cz
Wed Aug 11 17:11:44 GMT 1999

> I have looked around a lot and couldn't find anything on this.
> can some one please help?

  Firstly - this problem isn't much specific to Samba, it's rather Linux
kernel related as the "smbfs" is written more by kernel-people than by
Samba package people AFAIK.

  Please upgrade to some recent kernel like 2.2.11 (although I don't remember
too much "smbfs" changes in 2.2.x I would rather stay on the bleeding
edge of technology). Then read
"/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/smbfs.txt" file (found in kernel
sources linux-2.2.11.tar.bz2):

Unfortunately, some of the Win 95 work-arounds interact with Win NT bugs,
Option                  Value  Effect
Identify Win 95 Server    1    Enables bug fixes
Use Core Attributes       2    Speeds up directory scans, only mtime
Use Dir Attributes        4    Alternate way to get file attributes
Note that _only_ Windows 95 servers require special treatment; using the
"core attributes" option with Win NT will give trash timestamp values.

> > I have RedHat Linux and have mounted shared drives from WINNT 4.0 SP4.
> > Samba version v2.0.5a.
> >
> > I am having this problem when we mount a shared winnt drive on linux.
> > the timestamps look all messed up. I am not sure if I did not setup it up
> > properly or what.  Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

						Lace